Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Splatter Me


After Chanel sent its models down the spring runway looking like the palettes of extremely organized watercolorists, the “painterly” trend has been cropping up everywhere, including in home design. Since I’m all for bold colors and particularly talented at uneven paint jobs, it’s taken much of my resolve not to drench all of my furniture in a myriad of Benjamin Moore samples. So long as I’m holding steady I’ve been trolling the internet for more marketable examples of this aesthetic. Here are some of my favorites:
image


This masterpiece of a chair (found on One Kings Lane)  is what really got me excited about the painterly prints trend. A traditional frame and mahogany legs keep the bold pattern from being overwhelming, making the whimsical piece look surprisingly elegant. Incidentally, “whimsical” and “elegant” are two attributes I strive for daily in my own life.

image
This duvet by Urban Outfitters is the non-sexual way to bring Helen Frankenthaler to bed.  It could also serve as an artful way of delineating bed space if you have to share (“Don’t even THINK about crossing the mustard!”). 

image
While we’re on the subject of female artists, this is what your walls would look like if you hired Sonia Delaunay to outfit your child’s nursery. 
Wallpaper design available at wayfair.com

image
While marimekko’s bold prints can be a little overwhelming, this watercolor-inspired version is much more mixable. 
Sham available from Crate&Barrel

image
These dotted bins by Pehr Designs, currently featured on domino, bear a strong resemblance to the abstract work of my early childhood period. 


image
London-based designer Amy Sia makes pillows which in all honesty should probably be hung on a museum wall. The “Flamingo” print, above, is my favorite. 


image
Although sadly it appears to be sold out, this watercolor-esque lampshade from Mood Design Studio found on Houzz just might inspire me to dig up that old art set and go to work on my lampshades. 


image

If you’re looking for something more in the price range of a semester towards your PhD than an on-a-whim room refresh, ABC Home’s Color Reform Rugs achieve a similar watery effect in overdyed silk. 
In fairness, the creation of these rugs is mind-blowingly laborious. To assuage your skepticism at purchasing a dog-hair receptacle the price of a car, ABC has even released a video detailing the process behind these silk beauties

No comments:

Post a Comment